Taking one for the team

Team Casa Harkins - 1
Team Budget- 0

I took one for the team. Grudgingly. Last post, we were in the beginning of creating a media built in for our living room. 

Let's cast your mind back to what it look like about 1 week ago:


 Which was fine at the moment as it was always our intention to build upon those exsiting units. Since we saved  from the Sofa budget (close to a whooping 50%), we went and used those savings to expand on our units. We added on six more Ikea Besta units to create a wall to wall, (partially)ceiling to floor , big mama jamma  (that is the technical term btw) entertainment system.


It was all going to plan. Next up was deciding if we wanted doors and if so how many? Like our mock up below, I was partial to some open shelving and some doors.


Stephen on the other hand, wanted ALL doors. The problem with all doors? THE COST!


For all the doors, it will cost us £245.00... Lets say it together..


Bloody Hell

Before we move one, just one quick diversion: When I first moved over to Scotland people would say "Bluddy L" (yes I have written that phonetically). Much in same vein of the very American phase "Freaken A", I was sure the L in "Bluddy L" stood for something. Well it doesn't, my fellow Scots like to drop the H E  of the word. Wrapping it up, I have been saying bluddy L for 6 years now, until recently when I was corrected by the hubs. The hubs whom has a painstaking tendency of mumbling and speaking with quite the pronounced scottish brogue. Two words Stephen: Bluddy L.

Regardless, back to the agony of a potential £245.00 bill. The added on units only costed us £185.00, the doors are an icredible £60.00 more.  Hmmm. That means in total we would have spent £430.00 in total for the whole built in.... and that is only so far.... HMMM.I still have ideas for lightening, trim, cover panels....

Stephen made a really good point though:  Sometimes, I am too cheap for my own good. He raised some good food for thought:

A.) Did we save money on doing all the DIY ourselves? YES (i.e. removing french doors and opening the doorway all the way to the wall, removing the yucky fireplace mantle and painting the WHOLE house white...)

As shown here on a pic taken for REAL VS IDEAL  post written for Handcrafted Home


B.) Did we purchased vinyl flooring as opposed to laminate or wood to save on cost? YES

And saved well over £1000.It is also super nice under foot. Warm, grippy (if that is even a word) and just looovely.

C.) Did we remove and install a new kitchen on budget for less than £2000? YES. 


Although we are not 100% done, he does have a point.

D.) And finally did we save tons on a dining table by buying it second hand and refinshing it ourselves?YES. 



I hate to admit it but he may have a point. I maybe a bit to cheap for my own good.  So bringing it back full circle. I took one for the team. Grudgingly.


Granted, I do think they are lovely....

How is our budget doing?

Sofa Budget: £1000

Sofa...................................................... £578.00
Besta Units ............................................£185.00
SUBTotal................................................£768.00
Remaining...............................................£237.00
Purchased Doors .................................. £245.00
Total ........................................................-£8.00


We have overspent by £8.00. I guess that is not bad, but I am still have a bit more to do..... we will keep you guys posted.

Psst: all DIY & For the Home posts has since migrated to: 

theoverhaul.blogspot.com 

Can't wait to see you soon ;) 



Reactions:

5 comments:

  1. Wow,you have done a great job with the house, looking good gal!
    Actually really impressed by the amount of work in a short space of time.
    Give yourself a pat on the back and put your feet up for a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - when a Scotsman says you are too cheap, you have to wonder. lol You have worked wonders in that house! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Anne! How have you been? We tend to keep ourselves busy.. lately with me working full time things have slowed down a bit but such is life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen that is a valid point.... I may need to take advantage of this situation.. I have been wanting a green house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life's been up and down here but I always read your blog!
    Not been well enough to do much myself so it's nice seeing achievements elsewhere.
    Glad you seem to be enjoying your new job!

    ReplyDelete